There’s been news lately of a major revision to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) coming this fall that will result in significant increases in premiums. We’ve dug in to see how it impacts Connecticut so you’ll be informed.
First, here’s some info to put it in context:
- Number of NFIP flood policies in force in CT: 35,000
- Number of properties not covered by NFIP: 1.3 million
- Average NFIP claim payout, past 10 years: $31,400
For the existing 35,000 CT policies we’ll see:
- Decreases in premiums: 12,740 policies (37%)
- Increases of $0 to $10 per month: 16,280 policies (46%)
- Increases of $10 to $20 per month: 2,637 policies (8%)
- Increases of $20 per month or more: 3,172 policies (9%)
- Increases for existing policies do not start until 04-01-2022
- Decreases for existing policies start on 10-1-2021
For new policyholders the rates will be going up on 10-1-2021.
You can get more information at https://www.fema.gov/flood-insurance/work-with-nfip/risk-rating